At ViGO Nutrition we aren’t fond of commercial protein bars and protein balls, etc. for the following reasons:
- We feel that they are overpriced. We feel that you can get a lot more in the R40 people are charged for a 50g pack of protein balls!
- Generally lack freshness. We’ve tried some and often had bad experience. E.g. Some Protein Balls were literally rock-hard and some others were rancid due to the oxidised fat sources. It is best to DIY to ensure freshness.
- They may also contain preservatives to delay spoilage.
- They often contain too much sugar. This is because date paste or glucose syrups are often used as “binder” for all the ingredients. Also, if a bar/ball claims a “low-glycaemic” carb content be careful as it may contain Maltitol syrups which can cause intestinal discomfort.
The Solution: Home-Made Protein Balls!
It is best to buy food ingredients and protein powder like ViGO Protein and make them yourself.
Not only are you in control of what goes into your body but you can also alter the recipe as you see fit. You can make variants like:
- Peanut butter + vanilla protein
- Peanut butter + chocolate protein
- Add dried or fresh fruits (e.g. raisins or banana)
- Add seeds (e.g. sunflower, sesame, chia, etc.)
- Add nuts (e.g. cashew)
- Add instant Coffee powder for a little caffeine kick if you so wish!
If you have kids, that’s a great way to involve them too.
Needless to say, you save bucks, which is important in this day and age!
Here’s a recipe that you can try:
- Unsweetened Peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- ViGO Protein (vanilla or chocolate)
- Coconut powder
Step 1: Add about 150g of peanut butter to a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add about 40g of raisins.
Step 3: Add 1 serving of ViGO Protein
Step 4: Add 1 tablespoon of milk to blend the ingredients together. Add more if needed but not too much to avoid ending up with porridge!
Step 5: Mix everything together to form a large ball. Then divide into small balls.
Step 6: Sprinkle some coconut powder (optional) to coat it well.
Step 7: Keep the Protein balls in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes to make them firm. It is perfectly OK to be impatient and eat a couple before this step. We always do this (we need to try, you know!)
Thank you for reading this blog post.
If you have any question, please write to us at email@example.com
Please follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vigonutrition/?hl=en
Please Like us on Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/vigonutrition